Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Big Photo Challenge...small

The Big Photo Challenge

This week's challenge is small.
When I think of small, I think of macro.
So when I want to capture the essence of macro photography I use the Super Macro setting on my Canon Power Shot S3 IS.





This is a picture of a computer video board that uses Surface Mount Technology (SMT). The little blocks are resistors, capacitors, and inductors; they are only 1 MM wide. They are attached by machines and soldered all at once with a wave or flow soldering process http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology . The U600 chip is the DVI output driver and is also machine soldered. I have tried to replace chips this small while in the military with limited success.

I found it very hard to get even lighting and focus. I used several lights and in Super Macro mode you can't manual focus. I took many photos with different aperture and shutter speeds and learned how to use several new functions on the camera. But when I looked at all the pictures, I found this one with shadows looked the best. It seems more 3D and surreal kind of like a moonscape.

1 comment:

  1. The photo came out really well - those kind of shots are always really difficult to get right. Thanks for linking up again :)

    ReplyDelete